Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hot Potatoe!

Before I could write another blog, I had to write this one. This has been on my mind for a while.
The fact of the matter is this: I hadn’t taken any type of ownership towards Issachar Fellowship, the church plant, at all. It hadn’t really concerned me all that much until I really thought about it:
Issachar Fellowship is actually going to be a real church, in a real city, dealing with the lives of real people! Now, you may be thinking like, “Duh Damon, we know that.” But, do we really? I know I hadn’t. Truly I hadn’t. Yes, I’m excited about going to Atlanta, and being ‘salt’ and being used by God, but the reality of it hadn’t gripped me by the throat, threw me on the ground and made me shout ‘uncle”-- until now. I had no ownership of Issachar. It was some awesome plan in the distant future that was going to happen sooner or later and I would become more involved later. Besides, I still have another year in school and a wedding to plan...
However, the time is now. This isn’t a game of hot potato, where I can continue to pass the potato around to others because I don’t want to deal with the consequences and obligations of it being in my hand. No, everything matters now. From the planning, to the prayers, to the advertising, to the blogging, to the whatever, EVERYTHING matters NOW. Issachar Fellowship is my church now. And it’s time I started acting like it. So, on one hand I want to apologize to everyone involved because I haven’t given my all. I haven’t put all my effort and time into this church plant. On the other hand, I challenge myself and everyone, who is as pumped about this opportunity as I am, to not be idly thinking “in due time”. Rather, to be diligent now...constantly going before the Lord asking for His hand, continually investing into “our” church financially and collectively encouraging and spurring on one another to strive in excellence in all that we do to prepare ourselves for the chance to be used by God. Therefore, I guess the question now isn’t how am I going to get this hot potato quickly out of my lap, but how am I going to effectively use this potato for the sake of Christ?

No comments: